It's 2020, 10 years since I started my Private Chef & Corporate Event Catering business, time really has flown! I'm making this first blog of the decade about healthy eating and what it means to me. I've always cooked everything from scratch, but that doesn't necessarily equate to being very healthy. Take macaroni cheese, for instance - healthy for the soul but not for the insides or the gut. I don't want to be a kill joy so let's keep it short and sweet: eat more greens!
Here are a few little pointers to set you in the right direction:
- Start your day with a green smoothie if you can
- Make sure if you're eating raw greens (ie: in a smoothie, that they are organic)
- Always have plenty of fresh veg in the fridge
- Make sure you have back up in the freezer - frozen organic kale and spinach have become some of my best friends
- If you have any space outside or even on a windowsill, grow some herbs and veg
- Make carbs the last thing you think about when creating a meal, not the basis of it
- Fill half your plate with veggies
- Eat good sources of fat, ie: nuts, avocados, omega rich fish, olive oil, coconut oil
- Get lots of good protein onto your plate, ie: legumes like lentils and other pulses
- Use herbs and spices to liven things up
- Eat regularly and carry healthy snacks, ie: apples, nuts
Cooking healthy meals can be super fast!
Have a happy healthy decade!